Gods of Gotham Review

The Gods of Gotham - Lyndsay Faye

I have to say I was a little uneasy after reading some of the one and two star reviews for this book before cracking it open, but I was very surprised when I couldn't put the book down from the start. The background and setting are well researched and beautifully, in the most horrifying way, described. I really enjoyed the overall writing style of Lyndsay Faye. Gods of Gotham is the first of her books I have read, and I'm eager to move into the rest of this series and into her Sherlock Holmes book as well.

As for the plot, I felt, moved along very well, and I really enjoyed that it was told through our main character's, Timothy Wilde, point of view. He's quite a likable man through the entire book. In fact, I enjoyed all of Lyndsay Faye's characters. Even the ones you come to hate, and despite everything I still do dislike Valentine Wilde very much.

The mystery part of this book was done well, though I did start to figure it out long before Timothy started to catch on. The use of the dialect and slang was fun, though a few times I did run to Google to double check I understood. Which was downside to the book, I do wish the Flash Dictionary had been a bit bigger. Despite piecing things together much quicker than the main character I had to keep reading, because I needed to know how Timothy would react. And, of course, to see if I was in fact right in my own assumption of who had in fact done it.

As for the end, I quite like it. I like how Timothy has come to terms with a great number of things throughout the book. In the end I liked how the case came to a close, even if it wasn't quite how I thought My favorite however is that Timothy finally was able to put Silkie Marsh in her place. She is one of the characters I hated very much and I do hope she meets a terrible end in one of the coming books.

Despite all this I did have a few some things that didn't sit well with me. The riot was first one. For me, I felt the scene was rushed and could have been a bit more drawn out. Mostly because I do love a could knuckle busting fight scene, and this one felt very clinical in the way Timothy described it. Like he was writing it down in his reports. Which leads into the next thing that sort of sat odd with me. The entire part with Valentine's confession to his brother. I felt like Timothy just sort of accepted the fact and that was it. I do understand the point of it, to mend bridges between the brothers. Again another fight I expected more before the two men found footing.

All-in-all it was an excellent book and I'm eager to get into the Seven for a Secret.