1888 Review

1888: London Murders in the Year of the Ripper - Peter Stubley

Jack the Ripper is a case that has fascinated me for a very long time.  I'll ready any book on the subject of Jack, even if it's since been disproved.  This book his however not exactly that kind of book.  While there are mention of Jack throughout the text, it's not a book based on those crimes. Instead it focus on crimes that were shadowed by the sensationalism that came with the Ripper murders. All of them just as shocking and brutal.

Personally I enjoyed the book very much.  This book showed that Jack's crimes weren't the only heinous acts being committed throughout London, they were just the most brutal of all.  I felt it was a wonderfully horrible look into history of the justice system, or to be honest the sort of lack there of.  I can't say I didn't get angry at moments, but it had nothing to do with the author or his research.  Just the circumstances of each case and the almost lack of care really given, especially when the crimes were against the poor by the poor.  All and all I enjoyed my time with this one.  I felt it was well researched and felt it flowed very well from chapter to chapter.  Very glad to have picked this one up.