Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Review

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

I wanted to love this book, but unfortunately that was not the case.  It was a good book and I enjoyed many parts of it. Sadly there was a quite a few things I didn't like as well.  Also, I tried to avoid spoilers, but a few might slip in and I apologize if they do.

The first thing I liked, and really the part I loved, was the concept.  Not just the use of old photographs as visuals through the story, but the actual story itself.  The idea of strange children hidden away to protect them from the outside world and other things.  I liked that the book is told through Jacob's, our main character, point of view.  I enjoyed discovering things with him and as I main character I honestly enjoyed him.  Also, I felt the pacing of the book was good.  Ransom Riggs sort of throws you into the story from the start and your forced to keep up as the story goes from there.  Millard, he is reason alone to read this book.  Love him!

All of those lovely things being said, there were a few things that I just couldn't get past through the book.  The first were Jacob's parents, in fact his entire family.  Honestly I felt like the were excessively horrid and mean to Jacob.  Just something about how they treated him sat wrong with me.  Then there's the romance, which was just creepy.  I don't like it.  I sort of felt like because of who Jacob was it was the only reason the romance was there.  I  mean if things had gone differently then she could have been Jacob's grandmother.  Weird!  The end was also a bit of let down for me in ways, too.  Personally I wanted more of a confrontation between Jacob and the antagonists.  Everything felt a bit rushed and then it was over.  However, I do like that this one leads straight into Hollow City without a time lapse.

It's hard to say if I'll pick Hollow City anytime soon.  I want to know what's going to happen to everyone, mostly just Millard, but it's not on the top of my TBR pile to be fair.